Julie Anne Laser
addictions and substance use, children and youth, clinical social work, families and family systems, international social work/global practice, latina/latino populations, mental and behavioral health, school social work, trauma, veterans and the military
Laser has over 30 years of clinical social work experience, with over half of those years employed as a school social worker in both urban and rural school districts. She is particularly interested in school social work education and has created and runs the School Social Work Certificate.
Her clinical expertise is in Experiential Therapy, working with PTSD and trauma focused therapy,military families, parenting issues, child and adolescent healthy development, couples therapy, adolescent substance abuse, working with human trafficking victims/survivors, and well-being throughout the life cycle.
Laser continues to maintain a small private practice of children, youth, families, couples and clinical supervision. She has worked as a clinician in Mexico, Peru, Italy and Bolivia.
- Ph.D., Family and Child Ecology (Child Development in the Family System & Developmental Psychology), Michigan State University, 2003
- Intensive Spanish language and Mexican culture. Fluency in Spanish, Academia Hispano Americana, 1988
- MSW, Interpersonal Practice, University of Michigan, 1987
- BA, Political Science and Studies in Religion, University of Michigan, 1985
- International Relations, International Organization, and French. Fluency in French, University of Geneva, 1984
Licensure / Accreditations
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Master’s Social Worker Clinical and Macro License