Costs & Application Requirements
IHAC Professional Development Certificates
Institute for Human-Animal Connection (IHAC) professional development certificates are tailored to meet the needs of working professionals or full-time students—whether you’re seeking animal-assisted therapy education or want to expand your understanding of human-animal interaction. Courses are completed in sequence and you’ll have weekly deadlines, but since you’re not required log in to your virtual classroom at any specified time, you can complete your coursework on your schedule. All of our professional development certificates require some travel for in-person workshops, plus a computer with high-speed Internet access and Microsoft Word (view specific Web browser and operating system requirements).
All of our professional development certificate programs require a college degree and/or equivalent related working experience. Some programs also require experience with animal-assisted interventions.
View specific requirements by certificate.
Animals and Human Health Certificate
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or university, or equivalent working experience in the animal-assisted field
Canine-Assisted Intervention Specialist Certificate
- Agreement with a local canine organization for access to work with multiple canines weekly
- Successful completion of one of the following prerequisite programs:
- IHAC animals and human health certificate
- IHAC equine-assisted mental health practitioner certificate
- Graduate School of Social Work animal-assisted social work certificate with MSW
- If an applicant hasn’t completed a prerequisite program, in special circumstances we may conduct a telephone interview to determine if applicants who meet both of the following criteria may be recommended for admission:
- Master’s degree in human services (social work, psychology, counseling, nursing, physical therapy, etc.) or a degree in education from an accredited 4-year college or university
- Relevant and significant experience in animal-assisted interventions
Equine-Assisted Mental Health Practitioner Certificate
- Master or doctoral level mental health professional (licensed or pre-licensed), or currently enrolled in a graduate mental health-related program (social work, mental health counseling, marriage and family therapy, clinical or counseling psychology, psychiatry, psychiatric nursing).
- Prior equine experience
Humane Education & Interventions for Early Learners Certificate
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or university, or equivalent working experience in human rights or environmental, conservation or humane education
Questions about program requirements?Contact Us
Because enrollment is capped for all of our professional development certificate programs, applicants are placed on an active wait list once their applications are submitted, reviewed and accepted. Applicants are notified via email once they are accepted into the certificate program and eligible for enrollment into a cohort and will receive detailed registration and payment information at that time.
The admission process for all certificate programs begins with the submission of a completed online application form and payment of $25 application fee.
Tuition includes courses, in-person workshops and instructor consultation. Tuition does not include course literature or travel and lodging for required in-person workshops. An additional non-refundable $25 fee is due with your application.
Tuition can be paid all at once, or in installments. Payments are made online by credit/debit card (special arrangements can be made for third-party payers). Although scholarships are not available at this time, we can accept AmeriCorps Education Awards and Post-9/11 GI Bill funding.
|Payments||Animals and Human Health||Canine-Assisted Intervention Specialist||Equine-Assisted Mental Health Practitioner||Humane Education & Interventions for Early Learners|
|Deposit (secures your space in the cohort)||$1,400 (due before Core course begins)||$1,750 (due before Canines 1 course begins)||$1,600 (due before Equine-Assisted Mental Health 1 course begins)||$1,400 (due before Course 1 begins)|
|Installment 1||$1,050 (due before the Applications of Animal-Assisted Interventions course begins)||$1,225 (due before Canines 2 course begins)||$1,600 (due before Equine-Assisted Mental Health 2 course begins)||$1,050 (due before Course 2 begins)|
|Installment 2||$1,050 (due before the Animal Partners in Animal-Assisted Interventions course begins)||$525 (due before Canines 3, the culmination project, begins)||$1,600 (due before Equine-Assisted Mental Health 3 course begins)||$1,050 (due before Course 3 begins)|
|TOTAL PROGRAM COST||$3,500||$3,500||$4,800||$3,500|
|Apply Now||Apply Now||Apply Now||Apply Now|
Questions about fees and payment?Contact Us
Orientation to Animal-Assisted Interventions Course
Requirements & Cost
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or university is required. Enrollment is capped at 15 students per course.
- Application fee: $25
- Course fee: $500
- Upcoming dates: April 18th - May 16th, 2020