2021 Education Impact
Leading the Way in Human-Animal-Environment Interaction Education
Through our unique education opportunities students and professionals from around the world are learning ethical and effective approaches to human-animal-environment interactions. The Institute for Human-Animal Connection (IHAC) offers both graduate and professional development education certificates.
2021 Education Impact
In total, the IHACPro professional development programs had 167 students enrolled in 2021! We also launched our first Diversity in Human-Animal Interactions Scholarship, which supported 2 students pursuing education in this field with a commitment to developing inclusive programs in their communities.
Interested in supporting this scholarship program? Give the gift of education!
Here's a look at the IHACPro offerings and accomplishments from this year:
- Animals and Human Health Certificate
- Enrolled 60 learners from around the world in 4 cohorts.
- Hired 4 new adjunct faculty representing a variety of human-animal-environment professions (occupational therapy, clinical mental health, community social work, and school counseling), including our first international adjunct faculty member!
- Canine-Assisted Intervention Specialist Certificate
- Enrolled 30 learners from around the world.
- Increased this program to 2 cohorts per year.
- Equine-Assisted Mental Health Practitioner Certificate
- Enrolled 43 learners from around the world.
- Already registering students for fall 2022 cohorts!
- Humane Education Practitioner Certificate
- Enrolled 17 learners from a variety of professionals such as teaching, animal welfare, and nonprofit management.
- Orientation to Human-Animal Interactions Course
- Enrolled 17 learners who are brand new to the field of human-animal interactions.
Human-Animal-Environment Interactions in Social Work Certificate accomplishments from this year:
- New name and revised content for HAEI-SW MSW Certificate at University of Denver's Graduate School of Social Work, formerly known as animal-assisted social work. Read more about this innovate curriculum.
- 65 MSW students graduated with the Animal-Assisted Social Work Certificate in June 2021.
- 71 currently enrolled MSW students in the Human-Animal-Environment Interactions in Social Work Certificate.
Total Education Impact Since Founding the Institute for Human-Animal Connection
- 730 Human-Animal-Environment Interactions in Social Work graduate certificate students (includes students who earned the certificate under the former name, animal-assisted social work).
- 850 IHACPro professional development students from 24 countries spanning 6 continents.
- 16 current faculty and adjunct faculty teaching across the education courses.
Thank you to all of our current students and alumni who joined us for their education journey! We are proud to cultivate the next generation of human-animal-environment interaction professionals doing amazing work around the globe.