Karen J. Bensen
Associate Professor of the Practice of Social Work, Coordinator of Dual Degrees
What I do
I create much needed change in the world by educating social work students, helping them discover their passion and connect with others who share it, and always grounding it in the work of social justice.
environment, higher education, international social work/global practice, LGBTQIA, social justice
Before joining the GSSW faculty, Bensen served as director of the University's Partners in Learning Program, where she created numerous opportunities for students to engage with faculty outside the classroom. Prior to that, she was the director of GLBT Student Services at three post-secondary educational institutions on Denver's Auraria campus.
Bensen has conducted hundreds of professional presentations on topics that include diversity in education, faculty involvement in student life, "safe zone" training and GLBT awareness. She has won numerous awards. including the 2005-06 Outstanding Staff Award from the University's Center for Multicultural Excellence.
- MSW, Social Work, University of Denver, 1991
- BS, Social Work, Syracuse University, 1984
Licensure / Accreditations
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- Outstanding Woman of the Year, Metropolitan State College of Denver
- Outstanding Staff Award 2005-2006, DU Center for Multicultural Excellence
- Kay M. Stevenson Faculty Citizenship Award, Graduate School of Social Work
- LGBTQ Oral History Project , Colorado LGBT History Project
- Vagina Warrior, Auraria V-Day Alliance (Vagina Monologues)