Conflict and Loss of Life in Israel and Gaza
Dear GSSW Community,
The current attacks, conflict, and loss of life in Israel and Gaza are heart wrenching. Many in our community, with an array of identities, may be feeling personally impacted or have connections to the region.
With heavy hearts, we know that civilians often pay the highest price during armed conflict. Bearing witness to such tragedy—as members of affected communities near or far, and even indirectly via news and social media—can elicit pain, trauma, and complex feelings.
As GSSW is an academic community, I invite us to read widely and think critically about the complex history and current context of the unfolding crisis—and at the same time, hold that violence, terror, and loss of life are always horrific and gut wrenching.
With our shared humanity, I also ask that we acknowledge the fear, grief, anger, or other feelings that we or others around us may have. Please make space and allow grace for each other, turn to your communities of care, and live into your social work values. Each of us can be an agent of justice and peace through our own lives and work, in ways both big and small, and embody the ideals of our chosen profession.
On Monday, the Provost sent a message with campus resources. Below, we also provide some relief organizations and community resources that you may find helpful. This list is not exhaustive. We also welcome your ideas for reflection, support, and action at GSSW and beyond.
Amidst a world of conflict, injustice, and strife, I hope you will keep as touchstones our value of the pursuit of social justice and hope of creating a better world, together.
Relief Organizations and Community Resources
- Doctors Without Borders provides medical humanitarian assistance in conflict zones.
- International Committee of the Red Cross is an international humanitarian organization providing relief to people affected by conflict and armed violence.
- JEWISHcolorado is collecting donations to support families in Israel and is hosting vigils, webinars, and other events.
- Palestinian Children’s Relief Fund provides humanitarian relief and medical aid in Palestine.
- Staenberg-Loup Jewish Community Center is hosting a community vigil, providing mental health support and a reflective space, and lists a variety of local resources.
- UNRWA lifts up the voices, experiences, and humanity of Palestine refugees to secure American support for resources essential to every human being.
Interim Dean & Associate Professor
University of Denver, Graduate School of Social Work