University of Denver undergraduate students who are interested in a social work career can jumpstart their graduate education with our Undergraduate/Graduate Social Work Degree Program (3+2 Program), which allows completion of a bachelor’s degree and our social-justice-focused Denver Campus Master of Social Work (MSW) in just five years. With the 3+2 Program, you’ll graduate sooner and save money since you’ll need fewer undergraduate credits than a standard undergraduate degree program.

The 3+2 Program is open to students with any major, from psychology and sociology to international studies, Spanish or communications. You’ll take undergraduate courses during your first three years and will begin taking MSW courses in your fourth year. You’ll receive your bachelor’s degree after completing the first year of the MSW program (your fourth year of the 3+2 Program).

In your fourth year, you’ll take foundational social work courses and begin practicing your social work skills in a field internship. You can choose an internship that fits your interests from more than 750 internship options! During your fifth and final year, your coursework will focus on your concentration, and a second internship will help you hone your social work skills. If your schedule allows, you can also pursue a certificate in Global Social Work, Human–Animal–Environment Interactions, Latinx Social Work or School Social Work as well.

University of Denver campus

Want to learn more about the undergraduate/graduate dual-degree program?

Request Information

woman writing on paper

Your Career Options

With your undergraduate degree and an MSW, you’ll graduate ready to drive social change working in one of the nation’s fastest growing fields. Career options are almost limitless and include:

  • Providing therapy for individuals, couples and families
  • Running a nonprofit or changing public policy
  • Advocating for older adults
  • Providing services in hospitals or integrated health care
  • Improving child welfare
  • Delivering programs for at-risk youth
  • Environmental advocacy

“The master’s program was specifically designed to my likes and needs as a growing individual … My MSW has opened so many more doors than I ever imagined.”

Haley Pachelo, 3+2 Program Graduate, Senior Education Coach for Guild Education Read More
Haley Pachelo

Application & Financial Aid

If you are a current University of Denver undergraduate student, you should complete your application for the 3+2 Program before you reach 135 undergraduate credits (for many students, that is during fall of their third undergraduate year). Taking the GRE is not required. Be sure to meet with your advisor to be sure you’re on track to complete all your undergraduate major, minor and general education courses and a minimum of 153 credits in your first three years. If you are not a current University of Denver undergraduate student, you must be accepted to the University’s undergraduate program before applying to the social work 3+2 Program (learn more and apply to the undergraduate program).

In most cases, you’ll pay undergraduate tuition and can use your undergraduate financial aid for your first four years. During your fifth year, you’ll pay graduate tuition and will use graduate financial aid.

University of Denver campus

Questions? Contact 3+2 Program Coordinator Karen Bensen for more information.